Monday, January 01, 2007

My most popular posts for 2006

It seems like a common New Year's tradition in the Blogosphere is for people to recap their blog successes.

The most popular page for this blog is the front page. Since people can read several blog posts on one page, nearly half of you stay here for a few minutes, catch up on my ramblings, and then move on. I don't know how many of you are regular readers but the readership has increased month over month and about 1500 people stopped by in December (technically, the number is most likely far higher).

It's hard to be sure if there is a trend in popular posts but it does look like my dancing and body language related posts from last Spring (before I had my surgery -- which was one of the more popular topics, too) were very popular. So, here is the list of most popular posts from 2006. It will be interesting to see if any of them make the list for 2007. Thanks for dropping by.

  1. Salsa Music and Cha Cha Songs

  2. Body language: Reading body language

  3. Stop Heartburn: Fix That Hiatal Hernia

  4. Girls, Girls Gone Wild, And Girls, Girls, Girls

  5. My Chemical Romance: Stop and smell the orange perfume

  6. I am a Nielsen family!

  7. The other side of body language tips

  8. Seattle Transition

  9. Hercules on Coke in Gone With The Wind

  10. Lies, damned lies, and Matt Cutts

There were more posts about body language and Salsa dancing in the top 24. Guys, take what I say with a grain of salt. I write for effect. I don't deliberately or intentionally misrepresent or elaborate, but my memory of events may differ from the memories of other people who were there.

My personal life aside, other topics that interested people included: When you ring my bell... (about Roman history and adultery), When the truth is known, won't you want somebody ... (humor and marketing techniques used in commercials), I stumped Ms. Dewey (about Microsoft's marketing gimmick for the Live search engine), When the solders come home (in support of an organization called Wounded Warriors), Ask not on Google, nor Google on Ask (about the Google/Ask trademark verbiology tiff), More trivia concerning Pixar/Disney's 'Cars' (great movie, btw), and Romantic songs for guys who like...fluffy bears.

What an eclectic readership you are. Some of you spent the Spring and Summer peeking over my shoulder as I courted Miss Cute Reluctant (yes, I pulled some of the details from my posts to protect her privacy). We just broke up, but this is all I'm going to write about it. It was a terrific relationship but she is in Texas and I am in Seattle and that is the way it has gone.

Some of you followed my marketing anecdotes. In fact, at least one marketing research company took a deep interest in my Nielsen story. When I spoke to their president, he told me that media companies all over the country were reading my perspective on the Nielsen television rating experience.

I was a little surprised to see some of the search engine-related posts made the top of the list (I wrote over 200 posts in the past year). Of course, I'm not completely unpopular in the search engine optimization community. There are many people who drop me the occasional email or who, when they meet me in person, say, "Michael, I really enjoy your articles." So I shouldn't be surprised that they have found my personal anecdotes. Even Matt Cutts read my article on Matt Cutts (of course, he had a personal interest in the controversy).

The Tolkien-related posts (of which there are only a handful) didn't make the top-25. What's up with that, Tolkien fans? I used to have a readership who followed my Suite101 articles in the thousands. Oh well. I've now officially launched a new Tolkien blog so they'll have an opportunity to catch up on my Tolkien thoughts again, if they want to.

I don't know what 2007 will bring. I'm up to my eyeballs in projects right now and I'm beginning to wonder what I'll be able to accomplish by March 14, which is Xenite.Org's 10th anniversary. Through all the years, all the issues and events that have driven my life decisions, Xenite has been there. I cannot imagine life without it.

I hope you will all hang around for at least a few more months, regardless of what happens.

Happy new year!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no link on #3

1:52 PM  
Blogger Michael Martinez said...

Thanks for the heads up. I have fixed it now.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home