Saturday, December 23, 2006

Brandimensions.com - Change your tactics NOW

I'm never happy to see that my sites are being scraped, but I'm even less happy to find that an intermediary firm is sending robots into my server to scrape content for their clients to look at surreptitiously.

I did not set up Web sites so that companies out there can sell private access to their clients.

Brandimensions has been sending robots to look at discussions on SF-FANDOM about the movie "Eragon". I can understand why the movie studios want to know what people are saying on the Internet, but this is not acceptable.

Brandimensions does not own that content, they do not manage it, and they are not entitled to make any money by providing directed access to it.

My partner and I will be discussing how to block Brandimensions and other movie studio spy firms from our server in the coming days.

In the meantime, if you are a movie studio executive, contact me and let me know what you would like to know about fan reaction to your upcoming movies. I can help you get involved in the fan communities without your having to pay Brandimensions or other companies to do it for you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have been scrapping my page too... I made up things about their clients :) You forgot that not only are they looking for buzz they are looking for stolen intellectual property etc.

I finally just excluded their bots from my logs because they hit me up ALOT. Now I started getting hits FROM the company itself not even a bot.

Someplace else in the early dark days of their company the engineer actually posted various places on why and how they worked like it was a good thing.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home