Sunday, December 10, 2006

I found the Woodstock song! I found the Woodstock song!

Matthews' Southern Comfort did the cover of "Woodstock" in 1971 that I have so loved and been unable to find through the years!

What am I talking about, you say? Back in August I asked Who was that masked musician?. I started out that post by saying:
There's an old recording of the song "Woodstock" (lyrics include "We are stardust, we are golden, we've got to get ourselves back to the garden...") that keeps rolling through my mind. I haven't actually heard it in many years. The most popular version, the one that is always played, referred to on most Web sites, and virtually named as "the best" (not in my opinion) is the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young version.
Further on:
The version I'd like to track down was a studio cut by a glossy pop rock band of the late 1960s or early 1970s. They probably released their version in 1970 or 1971. The lead singer had a very high-pitched but soft voice. The group had great harmonies.
I really like the Matthews' Southern Comfort cover of the song because it's so smooth. I just like smooth, mellow, melodic, harmonic, resonating music.

I used to hear this version of the song all the time on the radio, but gradually the Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young version replaced it in popularity. Their version (the original, so far as I know) is just too raw for me. I don't really like it.

So, it's not like I really went on a quest to find the song. In fact, I've been so busy the past few months I just haven't had time for much personal entertainment. But because I needed Internet access in my new apartment I decided to subscribe to the low-cost digital cable service that includes music channels.

I've been listening to a variety of commercial-free music in my spare time at home while working on Web sites, ignoring email, etc. Every now and then an old song I used to really, really love comes on and I just sort of drift off into memory lane.

So here I was, spamming--er, posting comments on Matt Cutts' blog (sorry, Matt, but I really, really, really hate FireFox), and all of a sudden a very familiar song started playing.

I thought, "That's nice. Haven't heard that one in yea--EARS!"

I jumped up and ran into the other room to see what was playing. "Matthews' Southern Comfort, Woodstock, 1971". Woohoo! That's it! That's the song that's been driving me crazy for years.

Now I know.

I can rest peacefully.

I can enjoy my Kashi cereal in the morning.

Everything will be okay as soon as I publish this post and archive the group's name (because, like, I won't ever remember it).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...been trying to figure this out for years by trying to catch the name of the band on the radio..to no avail. Just Googled "woodstock song version" and eureka, my life is now more complete!! Thank you again!! P.S(Haven't even heard it on the radio in about ten years,just to demonstrate my frustration)

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home