Monday, November 20, 2006

And here we are again...

I still haven't installed my computer in my new Seattle apartment. People at work have been passing some infectious gunk around the office and I not only came down with it last week, I insisted on going out into the cold Seattle rain and making it worse.

I've been chewing on antibiotics ever since.

So I don't much feel like messing with computers and cables when I get home at the end of the day, besides which I only got the cable service installed a few days ago.

In the meantime, here I am, trying to stay on top of things at work, and getting a little grumpy in the process. Sorry, folks.

I did find a grocery store near downtown Seattle that has its own parking lot. You have no idea how important free parking is until you move to a downtown metropolitan neighborhood and refuse to give up your car. My social life sometimes consists of negotiating for an available parking space and then guarding my car ferociously to prevent anyone from towing it.

You see parking enforcement officers doing their jobs every day here. I've watched mre than one vehicle be towed away at the owner's expense.

So finding a store that doesn't charge you for parking is a Godsend. They must be making a humongous profit on the groceries I'll be buying there, but the mere convenience of not having to cruise around looking for a paid parking space on the street is worth the price alone.

It's one thing to think, "Well, I may take the bus to work", but quite another when you are carrying a couple bags of groceries through the rain and one of them drops. I've watched a lot of people struggle with groceries on the street. They either don't have cars or hunger has not yet forced them to give up their parking spaces.

I did the four-block walk with groceries in the rain once. God willing and the river don't rise, I won't have to do it again.

So, I'll be back to blog a little more this week. I do have Thanksgiving day off (and the day after) so I may actually set up my own computer for a change. The email is piling up and I should really do something about answering it.

I say I "should", but we all know by now that (sadly) most of those emails will languish.

Sorry. I'm just not feeling up to it.

On a happier note, I went to see "Happy Feet" this past weekend. That is such a cool movie. I may go see it again.

You should go see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home