Wednesday, October 25, 2006

There's a new science fiction search engine in town...

Google has now made it possible for anyone to create a custom search engine through their Google Co-Op service. I have long been frustrated by the search results at Google for SF & F queries, so I decided to create a search engine that favors sites I know to be relatively good.

I picked out dozens of fan sites, author sites, convention sites, etc. I decided against having Google search only those sites because I know there are plenty of other good sites out there about which I know nothing. So I only set the CSE (as it's called) to favor those sites -- meaning (I think) that they should show up first for whatever queries that are relevant to their content. Maybe.

I also filtered out a few sites I am sick of seeing turn up in search results, especially Wikipedia (which is horrifically unreliable in the SF & F entries, among others).

So, without more ado, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Science Fiction Search Engine. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home