Friday, August 11, 2006

Planning the August social calendar...

Well, actually, my social calendar tends to fall together at the last minute. However, I haven't been able to do as much dancing as before my surgery so there have been dancing posts mainly because there's been relatively little dancing. I have helped with some classes but even that is starting to taper off. I don't think I'll be helping with many classes this month, for example. Not even Gloria's Houston Ballroom Dancing Classes.

Well, that's the way life goes, sometimes.

I looked at Mary Frometa's calendar and she has a very solid schedule all month long. She'll be performing at Cantina Laredo on Thursdays and Fridays and then at Plaza 59 on Saturdays. On August 20, Mary's Band will appear at La Strada, which is a nice Italian restaurant on San Felipe near the I-610 interchange. The last time I was there, they had a string quartet playing Celtic music.

I guess Italian music just isn't very popular at La Strada. What can I say?

So, I'll probably budget some time and money to catch Mary's Band at one of the restaurants this month. Maybe the Sunday brunch will work out.

Tomorrow evening the friends and I will be converging on Elvia's Cantina on Fondren. Mi Rumba is supposed to be playing, and the new dance floor seems to be usable.

Speaking of my dance buds, a fellow named Ivan moved back to Norway without telling most of us. I called him last night and woke him up in the middle of the night. Sorry, Ivan. Everyone in Houston wishes you the best with your new job, and the ladies all miss dancing with you.

Coming up the weekend of August 26-7 is BarCamp Texas, an informal conference of search engine placement and Web design professionals. They are expecting up to 1,000 people to attend. I met Erica O'Grady, one of the organizers, Tuesday evening and she convinced me that this should be a fun event to attend. I'll do my best to be there. Basically, you get all the conferencing without formal breakout sessions. There will be a planning white board where people will write what they want to discuss at which times.

If I can make it, I'm thinking of suggesting a session called "100 quality links in 10 business days" to see how many people would be interested in that.

Last night we had the monthly dinner of the Inklings Roundtable of Houston at the Hobbit Cafe on Portsmouth (we say "on Richmond" but it's really on Portsmouth, one block over).

The group was a bit thin this month because several people were out of town or at a community meeting concerning Houston's plan to drop a rail line through Richmond Avenue. Frankly, I don't see where they would have room to put the thing. Nor can I imagine who would ride it.

But I don't use Richmond Avenue as much as I used to.

The Inklings Roundtable discussed the wars of Middle-earth in some depth but conversation drifted off topic. Our usual coordinator was not present as she is dealing with a health issue. We all wish her the best.

The next dinner party is planned for Thursday, September 14 at the Hobbit Cafe again. The group has pretty much decided to settle there for the next few months, I think. The ambience is nice, especially now that we have a walled-in patio with a closable door. On evenings when we have larger groups we'll have to take a different room.

I will do my best to attend the dinner parties through Christmas, but I cannot make promises. We'll probably toast Bilbo and Frodo's birthday next month, as September 14 is actually the appropriate day to do this (I think -- I have to calculate it every year). September 22, which most people celebrate on, is the wrong day because that is the date on the Shire calendar, which is not the same as our calendar.

Hm. So, here I am planning the September calendar in an August post. Well, that's the way life goes. I may do some other things this weekend. Haven't decided yet. I need to be careful not to wear myself out, as I'm tired of "recuperating" from surgery.

But ya'all be sure to have a great weekend, and those of you who can't, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home